Subway is a franchise business whose restaurants now reach more countries than ever before. The first Subway was opened 51 years ago, in 1965. Subway has grown to become the largest sandwich chain in the world, with over 44,000 locations. Because of the size of this business, Subway is a place that many people choose to seek employment through. This guide will walk you through the Subway job application process and will cover some helpful hints in acing your interview.
Subway General Career Info
Depending on the location you are searching for a job in, the positions for which staff members are needed to fill will vary. When filling out a Subway job application you may have questions about what the process is like and what you can do to ensure a position with the company. Subway will provide all the info and details to you.
Subway restaurants will need people to fill different positions depending on the needs of the store. Visit Subway’s Career Page to conduct a search to find job openings at Subway restaurants in your area. A few of the jobs listed on their website are: sandwich artist, sandwich artist PRO, assistant manager, manager, and multi unit manager.
Those looking to be employed with this company can typically expect to be operating the store between the hours of 10 AM and 10 PM. While hours vary depending on location, these are the hours that the majority of Subway restaurants are open. Shift managers and managers will be expected to be at the store before opening or after closing to prepare for the day or for the next shift.
Working at Subway comes with its benefits. Even part time employees receive assistance with health plans and full time employees have the additional benefits of a 401(k), and tuition reimbursement. Subway offers training on how to follow standards to make the perfect sandwich every time.
Subway Job Application Guide
- Visit Subway’s career page at www.mysubwaycareer.com. Here you will select the country you want to work in.
- After clicking “Apply Now” you will be led to a screen where you can type in the location, then click on a Subway restaurant to see which opportunities are available at that restaurant. You can also select multiple restaurants from the same city or area.
- At this point you will be asked to provide identifying information. This can include your name, address, social security number, employment history, availability, and contact information for references. When filling out your Subway job application it is important to be truthful and honest in all of the information you are providing.
- Create and submit a resume. If you do not already have a resume created, you should make one at this time. Thankfully, there are websites that you can use to create a resume. The system will prompt you for your information and will set everything up in the correct format for you.
Subway Job Openings
Because Subway is a franchise business the hours of operation may vary based on location. The hourly jobs that Subway has available are:
- Sandwich Artist
- Sandwich Artist PRO
- Assistant Manager
- Multi Unit Manager
1. Sandwich Artist
Sandwich artists are responsible for cashiering, product preparations, and food preparations.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Know how to make all Subway menu items.
- Operate a register and accept payment.
- Perform cleaning, stocking, and merchandising.
- Complete online training courses as required.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Be able to multi task exceptionally well.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must obtain a Health Card upon hire.
Working Hours & Salary Information
The operating hours of Subway can vary by location, but typically fall between 10 AM and 10 PM. As a part time employee you will be eligible to receive assistance for health plans. Subway sandwich artists typically earn an average base pay of $8 per hour, another piece of info that might come in handy before your Subway job application.
2. Sandwich Artist PRO
Sandwich PROs play a key role in training newer sandwich artists.
- Performs tasks assigned to the sandwich artist
- Trains newer sandwich artists
- Adheres to all procedures, guidelines, and expectations as outlined in the Operations Manual
- Completes light paperwork
- Completes online training courses
- Some high school or equivalent
- Previous restaurant related experience
- Must be willing to cross train and perform multiple parts of the job, including cashiering and cleaning
- Ability to frequently lift 10 pound items
- Must have the ability to lift items up to 30 pounds
Sandwich PROs are payed an average hourly salary of about $10 per hour.
3. Assistant Manager
Assistant managers supervise staff and daily operations.
- Perform tasks and duties assigned to Shift Managers
- Supervise food preparation as needed
- Supervise staff
- Complete paperwork
- Assist with product orders and inventory
- Assist with event planning and promotions
- Complete online training as necessary
- High school diploma or GED
- Experience in restaurant operations
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Computer knowledge is preferred
- Standing, walking, and bending is required throughout the work day
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
Before filling out the Subway job application for assistant manager, note that assistant managers at Subway make about $10 an hour.
4. Subway Manager
Subway managers are expected to ensure that all aspects of the business are managed well.
- Increase sales by providing excellent customer service and suggesting sales.
- Complete paperwork daily and weekly.
- Ensure that inventory is accurate.
- Keep accurate cash counts.
- Review financial performance weekly.
- Schedule employees.
- Order product.
- Maintain store cleanliness.
- Uphold food safety practices.
- Train, coach, and develop team members.
- Maintain a positive and professional work place.
- Have monthly staff meetings.
- Routinely evaluate staff members.
- Use progressive discipline approach.
- Complete online training courses as necessary.
- Must have at least a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- Must have a minimum of 3-5 years in QSR management.
- Prior Subway experience is preferred.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Have a valid drivers license and insured motor vehicle.
- Must display professionalism.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer knowledge is helpful.
Working Hours & Salary Information
As a Manager it is likely that you will be working either before the store opens (10 am) or after the store closes (10 pm). This will account for the time needed to prepare the restaurant in the morning, and to prepare the restaurant for those working the following day. Subway Managers make an average base pay of $11 per hour and an average total pay of about $23,000.
5. Multi Unit Manager
Multi unit managers are the leaders of leaders. They coach, train, and support Subway’s managers.
- Train and coach all store employees when needed
- Implement management program
- Develop and maintain staffing levels
- Provide leadership to ensure company standards and procedures are being followed
- Supports marketing
- Completes online training courses as necessary
- High school diploma or equivalent; however, college degree is preferred.
- 3-5 years of restaurant management experience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills with an accent on conflict resolution.
- Basic math and accounting skills.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Physical ability to perform any job within the restaurant and the willingness to carry out those jobs.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to walk, stand, and bend constantly throughout the day.
Subway multi unit managers have a national average pay of about $71,000 per year.
Note: If you want to look over some of the most common questions you might encounter during an interview and get some extra career tips, you can read our Subway job interview questions & answers article.
Subway Hours of Operation
Subway stores are typically open between the hours of 10 am and 10 pm. To confirm the hours of operation of your local Subway you can find your nearest location through their website’s store locator feature.
Subway Contact Details
Subway’s customer service number: 1 (800) 888-4848.
Subway can be contacted by e-mail by submitting a form on their customer service website.